Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter has gone by . . .

Another annual milestone has been achieved. We did not celebrate much, just ate dinner with son James and his lovely wife, Joan and family. They got new living room furniture.

It was ham and potato salad plus fresh asparagus. Quite delicious or as James would say, "Yummy."

Yesterday was moderate. I went for my walk and my wife, Judie, cut the old Lantana down. The roots had already sprouted new leaves. We are seeing new life everywhere, the oaks are budding out, the Clematis is putting out shoots, Iris' putting up buds and the Daffodils are about finished. Spring is here. Even the peach tree has budded out and now leafed out too. Soon the grass will start growing and lawn mowing will be in the offing.

I have the battery out of the lawn tractor being charged. And I got a new drive belt for it too. I guess I will have get on with installing the belt. Judie will be anxious to cut the grass. Need to change the oil in the weed eater too, it is a four cycle powered one. This will be its first oil change. I have already changed the oil in the lawn tractor, so except for the drive belt it too is ready to go.

Next mile stone is a class reunion in New Roads. May 17 will be 50 years since I graduated from high school. Next one of those will be LSU in 2013 - 50 years since I graduated from there.

Back recently at LSU and notice all the oak trees from my day now had the low long branches of Live Oak Trees. It is quite impressive with those trees around the old parade grounds. I doubt todays cadets even know that the area in front of the campanile is a parade ground. Any rate those oak trees are now more than 50 years old perhaps more like 75 years old. They are just really getting going. The Stonica Oak, out on Pointe Coupee Road, is said to have been there when Bienville passed by in 1703! And it is still growing!

Texas has the Charter Oak but it is just a kid compared to the Stonica Oak. It is right next to the deBara house, partially restored. The deBara house is one of the few houses dating from the Galvez era of Louisiana when it was under the Spanish flag. I am sure that the house's location is because of that very tree.

Later.

No comments: