Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Insurance . . .

First, auto insurance. Something you gotta have to drive, right? Well it may be that the young lady that rammed us in the back end may not have had any insurance. The answer remains to be seen.

If she does not, then my auto insurance policy covers the damage with a $250 deductible. The adjsuter has to evaluate it and tell me how much it would cost to repaid. And I would collect the difference after $250 is deducted. Okay, I can accept that.

But if she does have insurance, then there is a process called "subrogation." Subrogation means my insurance company collects for the damages from her insurance company, pays me. No deductible involved. I can accept that too.

Now comes the next day and a super cell thunder storm of gigantic proportions. We had hail the size of golf balls pelts. It beat my little truck to a frazzle, the only place not dented was the tailgate which was facing away from the storm. Chunks out of the grill, rear view mirrors, at least 20 direct hits and cracks in the windshield and looks like a kid took a ball peen hammer and worked over the hood, the roof and camper shell with the camper shell getting the worst (it was thin aluminum). There were dents in the fenders and the side panels too. The adjuster said it was a total loss. Okay I can accept that too.

Now comes the hooker, the insurance company offers me a descent amount less $500 deductible. Wait I say, what about the first accident and subrogation or uninsured motorist coverage. So I said I could accept their offer with a $250 deductible and call it a day. No way, Jose - no can do. So now we wait for the adjuster to come out and deal with the bumper and find out if the young lady does indeed have insurance or not. I figure I can be out $250 or maybe nothing. The insurance company may have a moral dilemma.

Second the house. The same storm did damage all over the house, the shutters are beat up, Malibu lights destroyed, roof fixtures beat up, one wind turbine is not working, ad infinitum. The adjuster has called and will come around soon. We are already being pestered by roofers, they are hungry with the housing slump now going on. They are trolling the neighborhood.

We may end up with a new roof. Don't know but I am sure as hell not going to let a roofing contractor make that decision. As far as they are concerned, it is all bad. They need work.
so we will wait for the adjuster and if we need a new roof, we will do it later after the storm season has passed. Not going to rush into this activity.

"And now we wait." A line out of Harry Potter.

No comments: