Sunday, April 12, 2009

Making Contact . . .

While attending my exbrother-in-laws funeral, I was greeted by one of our old friends, Lea Raye nee Mougeot Harris. Her husband's brother was a childhood friend, Leon M. Harris. So I inquired as to where Leon was and she replied Grants Pass, Oregon.

So I took a stab at his address via the Internet White Pages and looked up Leon. And sure enough there was a Leon Harris listed. So I banged out a letter to Leon in hopes it was the person I was looking for. A shot in the dark so to speak.

This mornig I got an Email response from Leon and yes, it was Leon of my childhood responding. He sounds like he is in great shape, retired very successfully and doing what he wants now days. He ended up in Grants Pass as it is his wife's hometown. That makes sense to me.

So strange those old connections from the past. Other people at the funeral triggered memories too. Pap Baum was there, a member of Nickie's, my exbrother-in-laws name, prayer group. Him along with the likes of Glenn Morgan. Nickie's old brother-in-law, Major Hebert. Major's second wife was a close class mate and friend of Judie's, Sandra nee Roberts (Sadly, Sandra has past on). Glenn was childhood neighbor and his father, Boots, became a close golfing buddy of my father. Both Glenn Morgan and Major Hebert are retired architects.

How we weave through life together, it is amazing. Small town USA is a strong powerful relationship and society. Those of us that grew up there can return and mix in; others who have moved there and lived there for years can not make that transition. I pity those that did not have that small town life to fall back on, a place to go, a place to remember - a place called home.

And everybody has to have a celebrity in the family. Nickie's was/is James Carville. James Carville is a close personal and political advisor to former President Bill Clinton. He showed up for the funeral, went through the line. He turns out to be a man small in statue, not one of those larger than life people like Nickie. Yet even in small statue, he stood out because of who he is and what he does.

Today is Easter Sunday - a day of renewal. Renewed contacts are appropriate.

No comments: