Wednesday, February 1, 2012

High Rise #2

I found ant high rise number two. It was out back and the light was next to a small Oak tree we planted a while back. It was the same designed light, we have several different designes but I'm guessing the other designes are not to the ants liking.

I noted that there are holes in the bottom that provide a path for the ants to get into the structure. The others do not seem to have these holes thus there is not access for the tenants.

I have washed this one out. I will get both batteries out and charge them up and reinstall the units. And I will use a dab of glop cement to close off the entrance way and that should forestall any reuse.

I do not know why the lights are attractive. I do know that fire ants like to get into electrical stuff. But there is usually a hum attraction, like transformers situated on the ground. The ants make their way into the transformers which provide some warmth to them in winter.

But the lights are like the transformers and have no moving parts. So I guess it is the magnetic field that attracts them. Your guess about that is as good as mine.

Got to stop those guys from moving in.

No comments: