Saturday, February 9, 2013

More Winds . . .

The forecast is for winds up to 20 MPH today.  Definitely not flying conditions for me.  I will have to content myself with building and getting ready for the WAMS Swap Meet.  I try to sell off at least one thing every year at the meet.

I will work on my Stik, it is a knock off Ultra Stik with ailerons and flaps.  I have been gradually putting it together.  This time I have moved the elevator and rudder servos to rear of the fuselage for weight and balance purposes.  The engine, a Saito .65 is a tad heavy so I am counterbalancing the nose weight by moving the servos aft.  I had to beef up the structure a little bit to take the servo loads.  I installed the vertical and yesterday added a bit of epoxy to the innards to strengthen the vertical attachment.  I do not think it is very strong, at least it is stronger now.

Next I will have to install the elevator.  I never seem to get this done very well, it is off a little bit each time.  Just got to pay attention to what I am doing and get it on looking good.  I also have to do the rigging on the wings, four servos to set up there.  Just time consuming task.  But all is coming together now days.

By the time I have it finished, I am sure the sixty sized Great Plains Stik will have reached its final days.  It has been patched and repaired many times.  So much so I think it must be a pound heavier.  Of course that is too much but it is heavier where I have done reconstruction using fiber glass repairs.  It does not break at the same places where the fiber glass repairs j\kave been made.  But so far it keeps on chugging along.

Dreary day any way.  Time to get some things finished in the garage.

Mardi Gras next week.  And trip to New Roads is coming up.

No comments: