Friday, March 8, 2013

The Leak Is Fixed . . .

The leak is fixed.  Got a real warm day the very next day.  The temperature got to 82 degrees, quite warm for this time of year.  South wind but really dry and the evidence of the leak fast disappeared.

The cause of the leak is a bad glue.  The connection is PVC and the glue was given to me (we paid for it) by our neighbor.  He got all the irrigation supplies at wholesale prices.  He used to be in the irrigation business here in Weatherford.  It turns out the glue is just no good.  It does not adhere and with time the joint just comes lose. 

So I dug it up, found where it located in the line.  Had to turn on the water to find the leak and at first it just dribbled.  Then it really blew out.  Shut the water off and preceded to bail out the hole.  I had to clean off the joint.  I used a large pair of water pump pliers to pull the joint apart.  Cleaned it up and used a bit of emery paper to dress up the joint.  Then I applied some new glue.  Blue stuff this time around. 

I dabbed up the joint on both sides, female side and the male side and shoved them together.  I let it dry for three or four hours just to make sure it had a good bond and would stay in place.  Sure enough, it did not leak and I back filled the hole.  Leak is done!

It is the second one to occur in that system.  I installed that line or set of sprinklers in the back yard some 5 years ago.  This is the second joint to come loose.  I am sure in time more of them will occur.  Just have to wait and see. 

The well ran well.  No pun intended.  But it pumped out a ton of water.  Sometimes that is healthy for the well.

As I have always said that lawn irrigation systems are constant maintenance.

No comments: