Sunday, June 23, 2013

Gave Up The Ghost . . .

The Troybuilt TB 22 EC string trimmer gave up the ghost.  Actually, I had two of them.  Both are shot.  One froze up.  So I took it apart.  This time I started from the back end instead from the front end where the controls and stub shaft are located.  Took the rear cover off and got almost immediate access to the cylinder head.

The cylinder head was held on by two bolts. Both of these were tight but easily removed.  I removed the carb assembly and the short intake stack.  That was pretty easy too.  Total of four bolts for that assembly. 

Then I removed the piston head assembly along with the attached muffler.  I later removed the muffler for convenience.  Later I had to remove the stub shaft and clutch to remove the front engine cover.  That was easy to do also.

Frankly I am getting good at this.  I can tear these Troybuilts (BTW they are now an MTD product) down in a half hour our so.  I know what to do to get parts off of it.

Finally, I removed the cylinder head assembly.  I came off pretty easy.  It has an 0-ring seal and that;s about it.  But first I removed the back crankcase cover plate.  It came off very easy.  But to my dismay, there were a few bits of metal floating around inside.  I cleaned that up.

When I got the head off, the piston came out easy.  Since it had frozen up I figure it would be hard but no it came right out of cylinder head assembly.  The top ring was okay but the second ring looked frozen in place (not good).  The sides of the piston were scored here and there.  I concluded the end cap for the connecting rod had come out and was ground up into little pieces take bits of the piston with it.

So now I can use a new piston and new rings,  The cylinder walls looked good.  Evidently, that material is a far better grade of material than the piston and ring assembly.  The piston took the brunt of the damages,  the cylinder itself after clean up look quite good.  The lower crank bearing looked and felt good.  So all I need is the piston and rings to fix her up.

Do you think you could find that on the Internet.  Well no, you can find an assembly with piston, connecting rod, rings, lower case, bearings, shaft and 0-rings for $60 plus shipping.  You can not just get a piston, rings, and wrist pin covers.

So I got a new one weedeater just like the old ones.  The reasons is simple, we have an electric starter to crank that model.  I noted other brands, similar engine but no access for electric starter.  I now know I could have gotten a lesser brand, swapped the back cover for the engine that contains the set up for the electric starter.  I could simply put the cover off the old weedeater on the new one and I would have it made.  Next go round I will do that.  Save about $40.

Mean while if you know where I can get a piston, rings and wrist pin covers let me know.

No comments: