Monday, October 14, 2013

LSU, Rain and Things . . .

Things first.  I have new hearing aids.  Nice.  Phonak Brand, is said to be top of the line.  Though I am sure all hearing aids have some draw backs.  These sound a little tinny to me but I am hearing sounds that I have not heard in years. 

Lots of new hearing aid terminology.  For instance, I have RIC hearing aids.  That means Receiver In Canal.  A receiver is hearing aid speak for speaker.  So I have the speakers in the ear.  The actual hearing amplifier, etal, is behind my ear.  A clear plastic tube runs to the receiver that is in the ear canal.  The receiver has a soft plastic cone or as I call it, basket on it.  The pointy end of the cone goes in the ear canal.  It has slits in basket so it is open to outside sounds.  In my case the hearing aids are programmed for high pitched sounds, not low pitched sounds.  So the low pitched sounds enter the ear canal by passing the cones.  The receiver transmits the high pitched sounds.  A hearing test confirmed nothing is wrong with my ear drum, it is all inner ear stuff.

Each hearing aid has to microphones in it and are separated by a switch.  The switch on the right ear turns the volume up and the switch in the left ear turns the volume down.  When you press one, you hear the aids respond with a tone.  Yes, they talk to each other.  There in lies a few new programs to help the hearing.  Wind noises are suppressed.  Feedback noise like I used hear my father-in-law experience are suppressed.  They are said to have five memories and four special programs.  Any way they work.

I also have Tinnitus.  Nothing can be done about it.  It appears to be cochlear nerve damage probably caused by Diabetes, the nerve killer.  The hearing aids can be programmed to introduce white noise to suppress the Tinnitus.  As yet I have not had that done as the while I am aware of Tinnitus all the time, it is not the dominant sounds I hear.

LSU.  LSU football team displayed a superior defense Saturday.  They shut down Florida.  I think Florida was surprised by the LSU performance.  The run game, always pretty good, became better.  The style that LSU showed was different and Florida's vaunted defense did not know what to do.  They kicked a couple of field goals, no touch downs.  While LSU hammered in two touch downs and a field goal to seal the victory.  Florida was done and done in.

Next up is Ole Miss.  Ole Miss is always dangerous to LSU.  But then it seems all SEC opponents are dangerous for LSU.  Everybody points up to be LSU.  We seem to be the standard to bring down.  Well if we survive Ole Miss, Bama and Texas A&M are next after that.  I do not think Arkansas will present much defense as they will have had the crap beat out of them by all the other teams.  Furman is a total unknow to us and should present a nice game.  Never can tell about out of conference teams and again, like the all rest of them, they seem to really get ready to play LSU.

We started to get rain in the night.  We got about an inch, maybe a little less.  Nice slow dribble like rain that soaked in.  We live on water from lakes so all rain is welcomed here in this semi-desert area.  People do not realize we are on the edge of desert here.  And all the lakes are man made here.  The little rivers flow into the lakes.  Some of the lakes are way down.  Lake Travis near Austin is down 40 some odd feet.  That is significant.  We have done a little better than Austin but not by much.

And the beat goes on.

No comments: