Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Got A New Lap Top . . .

My old lap top was showing its age and it is time to replace it.  So I got a new one.  I purchased a Lenovo with an AMD A8 chip in it instead of they typical Intel chip.  This chip is roughly equivalent to a four core Intel chip and has built in graphics.  The pros say the graphics are nothing to shout about.

One of the things I did was down load the latest AMD software dated 1/7/2016 so a lot of fixes ought to be in the package.  Frankly I can not notice any difference.  But then I do not play games other than solitaire, so it is not a big deal to me.  But this computer is a lot faster than the old one, has a Terabyte hard drive and 8 Gigabytes of  RAM.  So it has more that twice the ram of the old one and three times as much storage as the old one.  It was time to move up.

I have been downloading the stuff I use.  It has the standard DVD drive, which is optical drive.  I learned a long time ago, the same drive can copy CD-ROMs all you need is the software.  And I downloaded the software for free to use on it.  So now I can make both DVDs and CD-ROMs but no floppy's any more.  That is a thing of the past.

I threw away a ton old little floppy's the other day.  Not enough capacity to be worth anything at all.  And I got rid of all my old programs like DOS.  Boy that ages me, DOS.  We are up to Windows 10.

The new computer is supposed to be touch screen but I have not gotten that far yet.  And I plugged in the old optical mouse to use as a pointer.  I hate the touchy feely system with two buttons.  I find them very hard to use and I am very used to the good old mouse.  It is connected by a little bug and takes up no room.  So I am satisfied with it as is.

Now I must go off and install more stuff on the new lap top.  It is already connected to my local connection to the Internet.  So I am in the plug and play mode as it were.  Not hard to do.

No comments: