Saturday, May 26, 2018

Windows 10 Pro Version 1803.

Beware of down loading the update of Windows 10 or Windows 10 Pro to install version 1803.  It has bugs.  I ruined not one but two of my computers.  As a result I had to get a new computer, actually I got two of them.

The first was a HP cheapo from Walmart.  I has a small key pad, 14 inch screen and solid state hard drive (means not much space).   But it was about a $100 cheaper than a 9 inch screen Samsung tablet and comes with Windows and some other bundled software.  It gave access again to the internet and that is where I learned version 1803 was screwing computer after computer and Microsoft has been very blaze' about it all.

When I called Microsoft they said Windows would not run on my Dell Inspiron 530.  I knew that was BS because my good old Inspiron has been running Windows 10 Pro since the software became available.

But that led me to my second computer purchase.  I got from a Walmart source (actually a Walmart contractor) a Dell OptiPlex 790 with Windows 10 Pro on it, Intel i5 CPU, 8 Gigs of RAM, 2 Terabyte hard disk and a optical disk (aka DVD read/writer) shipped to me for the princely sum of $207.

I got that computer, hooked it up and it was DOA.  Called the techs and they said probably a memory stick was dislodged.  Sent me a link to a YouTube video that showed how to get into the computer.  It is neat, no screws, it all snaps together and plugs in to its various cables.  So sure enough, I opened up the case (no screws just a big latch), followed the video instructions and reseated the memory sticks.  I actually moved them around and reinstalled them.  Closed up the computer and powered it up and it is running like a champ.

This machine is much faster than my old reliable Dell Inspiron. I dislike the compact design but for the price it is worth it all.  The computer came with a host of bundle software, some is open source and some is not.

I am typing on it now.  I had to go get all my old addresses and plug all that in.  But it is mostly back in operation.

Now I have to go fix my old lap top, it is about three years old, not used much except on trips.  But I checked in with a computer shop in town and got a colossal load of BS.  They said it was a bad hard disk.  I already knew about the Microsoft fiasco regarding version 1803.  I am sure more will come out and I expect a big class action suit to transpire.

No comments: