Sunday, March 24, 2019

Computer Woes . . .

My old Dell Inspiron crashed.  It had to do with loading an update of Windows 10 Pro version 1803.  In the mean time I acquired a new (at least new to me) Dell OptiPlex 890 with an I-5 CPU chip.  It is a much faster machine.

The computer was purchased from Blair Technology which refurbishes computers for Intel.  It came with a one year warranty, a mouse, and key board.  And it was stocked with Windows 10 Pro, 8 Gigabytes of Ram and a two terabyte hard drive.  All of that was $206 delivered to my door step.

Yet the Version 1803 bit me again and got the system up and running again but having lost almost all the software package that came with it.  It was no great loss.  I loaded all my old software and it runs just fine now.

Then I started having start up problems with the new machine.  I found a way to get it going but finally shipped back to Blair Tech under warranty.  I got it back in about 10 days and I figure I got a new power supply.  I added more memory and it now has 12 Megabytes of RAM.  The same hard drive was in place so I did not have to reload software.  I did have to reload my selected pre- addressed URLs like Google, Morning Advocate newspaper, etc.  That is no big issue and all is well now and I have a faster machine.  I did have a problem with the Blog but that is finally resolved for keeps (I hope).

I reformatted the old Inspiron computer and it sits in reserve now.  I plan to give it to my house keeper for her young grandchildren to use but I will have find a cheap monitor for them.  I have the key board and mouse.  I probably will have to get a new Internet connection along with the monitor to make the machine a complete and useful device.  Their children need the machine and I have given them a small lap top but they will soon out grow that machine.


No comments: