Thursday, July 18, 2019

Working on the System . . .

Yeah, the irrigation system.  Maybe is should be the "irritating" system.  The control valve on circuit number 2 has begun leaking.  Along with the leak in the control container, a sprinkler is also leaking.  That sprinkler is the low point in circuit 2.  Not a giant leak, just seeping and keeping the driveway wet.  The driveway has a slight grade to one side and the sprinkler is located on the high side, so it becomes a large wide spot.

I got my plastic cup out and started bailing out the control box.  I had to go shut off the well pump and open a faucet to drain the pressure tank.  I got out an old seat pad for the outside chairs and plopped it on the ground by the control box and began bailing out the standing water.  I finally had to result in using a coffee cup to get the water level down low enough to get at the control valve.

First one removes the solenoid that opens and closes the valve.  Simple, just unscrew it and set it on the side on the ground.  It has two wires going to it and one has to be careful not to disturb them or you will have to work on that too.  The top of the valve unscrews, it has a large ring that holds the parts of the valve in place.  In this case it was loose, and that was a big part of its problem.  I took the top of the valve off and removed the spring that holds the diaphragm down.  Then I removed the diaphragm and the top was indeed cover with fine sand.

The well produces the sand, and there is not much you can do about it.  I had a separator for awhile that removed the sand but it developed a hole in the side.  I patched it once.  But it developed another hold that was beyond patching.  So it just took it out of the system.  The sand is microscopic and forms a sort of build up on the diaphragm causing it to malfunction.

I had replaced a number of control valves with so called "dirty valves" that are designed to handle the sand but I did not replace all the control valves, just those that gave me problems.  And the system ran for about 10 years with out a problem.  Last year we lowered the pump almost 30 feet to avoid over drafting the well.  Well that meant more sand and I have had to open up and clean out several clean  water control valves.  Just something you have to do.

I borrowed a new diaphragm off one of the old replaced valves.  Yes, I kept them around and now glad that I did.  The old diaphragm was not bad, I just decided to change it.

I reassembled the valve and screwed the top back on.  It had a little arm to manually operate the valve and it kept the control solenoid from doing its job.  So I removed the arm and reinstalled the solenoid.  Then I trotted out back, turned on the well and came back.  Yep, that fixed the problem.  Just to make sure I turned on #2 at the control box to runs the valves and yes, it worked as advertised.

Went out and checked and found another sprinkler not working.  That usually means the little filler is clogged up.  I took it apart and back washed the filter and reassembled the sprinkler.  Turn on the circuit, #6 circuit, and it still did not work.  I took the sprinkler head off and ran a wired down the tube and it was blocked by something.  So I had to take it apart again, and remove the tube also.

I tapped the tube inverted and a couple of same stones came out.  That is the last sprinkler in the circuit so I figured the water had gradually move that debris to the last point.  I reassembled and it still did not work, so I have more work to do to clean it out.

Like I said, the irrigation system is constant maintenance.  Just when you think it is all okay something new crops up.

No comments: