Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Finally Got It To Work . . .

I finally got my "A" drive to work. I kept noting that it was showing up as "working properly" but not working at all. I did determine the X1DE USB drive was not compatible and Iomega had no intentions of making it work at all. So that was a lost cause.

So I removed that item from the computer. That is I physically removed it and then deleted all reference to it.

Then I cast about reading other peoples problems in the forums and finally ran across one that kinda answered my question. Basically, getting the ribbon cable on correctly (I did that) and going in to the CMOS set up and turning on the "A" drive. How simple.

Did that and I'll be damned if it did not fix everything. So now I have access to lots of old files kept on floppies. Of course, the one file I was desperately interested had to be converted from WordPerfect to Word and then I saved it to my hard disk. So now access is not a problem anymore. I still have the old Word Perfect software but it was on floppies too and I am sure I have forgotten how to really use it. Microsoft has become dominant.

Took a year of that kind battering around to get this Dell to work like I wanted it to work. I guess now it is obsolete.

No comments: