Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Closing In . . .

Time is closing in for the eye surgery. Had the "reoffer" appointment yesterday and we are set to go. Just need a time for the day of the surgery. I have already done the physical examination as required for presurgery clearance. I have also modified a pair of glasses with a clear lens and have gotten the presurgery mandatory eye drops.

When I had the physicial examination we discussed going to see a Cardiologist, it was deemed not necessary but recommended. I had a EKG done during the presurgery exam and it was said to be no problems. I do have what is known as "lipodemia" meaning high clorestorol, it has been that way since the 1980s.

They have me strapped down with high doses of Lipitor, 80 MG per day, and that keeps my lipids in and around the "Gold Standard." But since I am also a Type II Diabetic, it all bears watching.

I have other effects from the exposure to Agent Orange besides Diabetes Type II. I have Cataracts that are said to be caused by Diabetes/Agent Orange and Peripheral Neuropathy (sensitivity of my hands and feet). PN as Peripheral Neuropathy is referred to in VA circles, means I am gradually losing the ability to pick things up. So far it does not seem to effect my ability to fly radio control airplanes. I am hoping, of course, the cataract surgery will result in improved vision for flying.

And typical of being a Morrison, I have high blood pressure, sort of an association with age, Lipodemina, Diabetes interrelated. I also have arthritic knees from jogging while on active duty. And Gouty Arthritis too. All these things add up. The VA also says I have "bilateral issues" due to PN and arthritic knees.

But so far the VA deems that I do not have Carodic Artery Disease or as they say Ischemic Heart Disease. I will either have to have a heart by pass, stint installed or God Forbid, a heart attack before they will deem that I have that disease. But it is so common in my family it is unbelievable. My guess is all that jogging forestalled any of that kind of disease and I continue to this day to walk distances. Exercise pays off with longevity!

Any rate the year of the doctors for both me and Judie has arrived. Seems like one of the other has an appointment per week. Better than dying!

No comments: