Saturday, June 29, 2019

Glued Again . . .

I hope the glue gets into the joint this time.  It is difficult to get to and I can not get any glue into the joint, I can get it on the pipe that goes into the joint.  I have very little clearance and the joint faces down, so no help from gravity.

I made a wedge and pushed that under the pipe to hold joint together.  And I used a different brand of glue.  I have had experiences in the past where some glues do not work, or stick so to speak.  That was bad can of glue and I have had to chase down other joints that failed.  Most of the joints are tight and can not expand, thus stay in place doing the job.  Some have pushed apart.  The system will generate a little over 60 pounds of pressure and in the hydraulic world that is a significant amount of push depending on the surface area affected.

I will test it out again this afternoon.  I want the soil in and around the valve to dry out so it is not slippery and allow my wedge to fail.  I also made a little dip in the wedge so that it will hold itself in place.  No end to jerry-rigging some of this stuff to keep it going.  I have left behind some unusual repairs on the houses I have owned.  I am sure I am not alone in such behavior, and other homeowners do much the same keeping their abodes functioning.

We had to put a new control board in the washing machine.  It is basically a motor start board with several large capacitors on it.  I have had a similar problem with the water well and replaced starter capacitors out there on the well.  There is no reason for the capacitors to fail except poor manufacture of the units.  Capacitors that are electrolytic have a reason as the electrolyte breaks down with time.  Solid state capacitors should not fail but they do.  All it takes is a pin hole failure the material that separates the two plates and that is the end of the capacitor.

At any rate the washing machine is back working again.

And I am waiting for the glue to dry and the soil to dry and see what I get this go round.

No comments: