Monday, May 10, 2010

The Foxes . . .

The other night as I usually do, just before going to bed, I turn off the lights in the living room so I can see out in the back yard. We often have deer visit our compost pile, they like the veggies or what's left of the veggies.

So I flipped on the backyard light and there were two foxes in the yard. One moved on pretty quickly, the other one fooled around quite a bit. I called Judie and we watched as the fox marked all around underneath the bird feeders.

The squirrels often feed at the feeders and underneath the feeders. I am pretty sure that is what attracted the one fox, the scent of the squirrels. Perhaps the birds to leave a trail but I rather think they think of squirrels as dinner or sorts.

That fox messed around for about five minutes, sniffing, marking and sniffing some more. It was really interested in what scent there was underneath those bird feeders.

They were not red foxes but rather brown foxes. They did have magnificent tails, big bushy tails for display. You knew there were foxes and not dogs or coyotes. Smart little animals, good neighbors to us.

We watched until they moved on. They were unperturbed by us. I am sure they could not see us inside as we could see them outside.

What a pleasure.

No comments: