Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Two More Gone . . .

Two more childhood friends have died. One, a classmate, Deanna Patin Roy. Deanna was always a stately looking lady. She was at our class reunion and looked the very picture of health and beauty.

She died of Pancreatic and Liver cancer. The class reunion was only two years ago.

Deanna married a Roy from Marksville. He was in the banking business and ended up being the big owner of the Cotton Port Bank. And that is the reason Cotton Port Bank has a branch in New Roads. She was a Vice President of the bank. Her husband predeceased her by a number of years.

The second was Michael Janis. He grew up across the street from where we lived on Main Street in New Roads. The house is still there. It was always neat and very reserved. I recall when the built it. The street along side is Janis Street, named for his family and his father.

Michael was a year older than me. So there was little contact after we started getting older. I do not recall him in high school, yet I know he was there.

He apparently died of heart failure. I seem to recall that is also what did his father in. Our hereditary diseases seem to catch up with us all.

My fellow class, Alvin "Al" Fabre, let me know. I did not have to wait on the Banner to learn of their untimely deaths.

And the beat goes on . . .

No comments: