Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Stuck Valve . . .

We noted yesterday morning, that circuit #3 in the back was stuck on.  I had to go out and shut the well down, it was pretty wet out there.  I left to dry out.

Today I started with a kitchen spoon digging out the valve, the only thing visible was the solenoid.  So using a kitchen spoon I dug around the valve removing enough soil to see the top of the valve and down the sides a little bit.  Basically, I uncovered the "bonnet" or top of the valve.  I noted the connections were okay and apparently the solenoid, the usual culprit, was working just fine.

So I went in and did an Internet search, figured out it was a Hunter RPV valve (one of many Hunter designs).  It had a knob on top and that is for flow control.  That is the knob can regulate the pressure a bit.  I loosened up the bonnet and took the solenoid off.  Water came out of the solenoid mount and thus I knew when I unscrewed the bonnet I would have a ton of water to deal with.

So I had to excavated the valve, I removed the vertical cover, dug it out careful not to destroy the wires to the solenoid.  Made a big enough hole to capture the water and of course, bailed the water out.  I got most of the water out and removed the bonnet.  I took the bonnet inside and clean it up.  I saw in the bottom of the valve where the water comes in from the well a large chunk of old blue glue.  I am not sure that was the problem but removed it anyway.  It probably slowed the water down a bit.

I did see some small rocks in the solenoid area.  They get under the solenoid and keep it from closing thus allowing the water to flow.  I cleaned the bonnet, the solenoid and blew out the channels and got all the debris out of the valve including the glue.  I washed the insides up well and reassemble the valve.  Then turn the well back on.  Problems solved.

The valve was dirty inside, it is a "dirty water" design.  So the discoloration from the microscopic sand particles produced by the well does not inhibit its operation.  Clean water valves are designed to run on city water but I do not do that at all.  City water would cost a fortune, the well paid for itself in just a couple of years in avoidance of city water fees.

Like I said, irrigation systems are constant maintenance.  Another job done.

No comments: