Thursday, August 21, 2014

Yearlings . . .

Judie called me to light the bar-b-q grill for our supper.  It was about 5 PM our time.  As I went to open the back patio door I looked out and saw two yearling deer, both sitting on the ground.  They still have their fawn spots but are pretty big now and Mama Doe is no where to be found, which means they are on their own now.

We had one doe deliver twins and I figure they were the twins.  They seemed to be very close to each other.

I went on out and started the grill and walked back in.  They did not move just looked at me. 
They know me as I saw them often in the morning during my neighborhood walks.  I sort of ignore them and they ignore me.  That way they are not startled by me.

I cooked the flank steak, takes about 10 minutes, and sat outside during that time.  They were not disturbed by me watching them.  Took the steak off the grill, turned off the gas and went inside with the steak.

We ate dinner and after dinner I looked out and yes, they were still there.  I checked and hour later and thought they were gone, and then spied them in a different part of the yard.  They stayed until it got dark.

I saw them again the morning across the street, they watched me walk by and just stayed there.  Later I saw one of them in the lot next to the house.  I know they would not go into my backyard as the sprinklers were going at that time.  And during my walk I spied others in the neighborhood, they simply watched me walk by as if I were another car going by.

I leave them be to themselves and that seems to satisfy them.  I just wish they would not eat all our plants but then that is their food.  They do not eat Rosemary and Garlic Chives, so we have a ton of that planted around.  They will come right up to the house and eat plants.  We have one Day Lilly protected in a wire cage and they eat anything sticking out. 

There have been complaints to the City of Weatherford, but since the forage over county and city it takes a coordinated effort to do something about the deer population.  Naturally, nothing gets done and the herd continues to grow.  Only natural selection thins them out.  Thus we see a occasional Lynx (Bob Cat) and others say the have seen Mountain Lions.  That seems to be sort of controversial, as the wild life authorities say absolutely no mountain lions around here.  Then I have read where sittings are getting more and more common.  So my guess is they are moving back in to feed on the deer.

No comments: