Sunday, February 8, 2015

Kumquats . . .

I have an affinity for Kumquats.  The small citrus fruit that one eats whole spitting out the seeds, if any.  They are sort of tort in flavor.  You can find them around San Bernardino/Redlands area Navel Orange orchids in southeren California.  They along with other citrus are found in the orchids to provide cross pollination for the Navel Oranges.  So virtually every orchid has one or more Kumquat trees.  They also have other variety of Orange trees, Satsumas and or tangerines, Madelaines, etc. for the same pollination reasons..

My love for Kumquats started as youth in New Roads, LA.  There was an old house, Mrs Hughes house, on Main Street not far from my house.  It was set back some distance from the street being a very old house, ante bellum in history.  It was up high on brick pillars (for the floods of the past).  It had veranda that stretched almost all the way across the front of the house, but not quite as there was an indentation on both ends of the veranda.  Tho house faced south toward False River.

In that indention on the west end of the porch was the Kumquat tree.  Out  front on the lawn there was at one time Camphor trees, an avenue of them from the street back to the house.  The house was set back a good hundred yards from the street. Camphor trees have excellent if not the greatest climbing limbs.  Big limbs that stretched down to almost the ground and then went up again.  It was favorite spot of kids all over the neighborhood.  It had great climbing trees, the house was well set back and I believe Mrs. Hughes enjoy all the kids play in her front yard.  We never heard a complaint from her.

Camphor trees are not very tolerant to cold weather.  And along about the time I entered high school,  1954 or so, a great cold period enveloped us.  It kill most of the Camphor trees but not the Kumquat tree.  So the Camphor trees were gone and no so many kids if any played in the front yard anymore.

In the late fall I would sneak up the Kumquat tree and feed to my hearts delight.  I do not think anyone cared about the tree any more or took care of it.  Mrs Hughes was quite elderly by then and it was not something she would do.  So for a number of years the Kumquats fed me to no end.  And that is why I still like them.

Mrs. Hughes died and her lot and house were demolished and the Kumquat tree was uprooted and discarded.  Today that plot of land is the First Baptist Church property and church is more or less about where her house was.  The good Baptists were not interested in keeping the Kumquat tree.

Today, I can occasionally get Kumquats in Fort Worth at the H.E.B. Central Market.  We I see them I am a sucker for purchasing them and chowing down.  I have a few on the kitchen counter now.  No one else in my family can stand them so I never have to worry about them gobbling up my Kumquats.

Maybe I can convince my cousin Walter to plant one out on the plantation.  It is said the Kumquats are the most cold tolerating of all the citrus trees.  That should be a good reason to plant it.  He has some other orange trees and has some on and off success.  If he planted a Kumquat tree he would successful every year.  Mrs. Hughes was always successful and she did little or nothing to take care of the tree.

No comments: