Wednesday, July 1, 2015

CTA . . .

CTA means Computed Tomography Angiography.  A fancy term or name for a very fancy X-ray machine that looks at your heart or other parts of your body like lungs.  In my case it was looking at the heart and the arteries that service the heart.

The out come of the test is a Calcium Score.  A Radiologist must examine the X-rays and do their thing.  It is not a single picture, it may be several thousand shots of the heart and computer joins them up.  This makes a precise picture so the Radiologist can assess the situation.  And the machine circles your torso, so they can see the backsides, the sides and the front of the heart.

I had one of these done about a year ago here in Fort Worth.  The precision in this case was 1/64th of an inch.  That is how small the slices are that go into the picture.  While I do not know the Calcium Score from that test it prompted my Cardiologist to do a Nuclear Stress test.  But I blew through the Nuclear Stress test with no apparent restrictions to my heart or its servicing arteries.

He said, "Well maybe that is just one of those things.  See me next year."  And I did, and he immediately he had me do another Nuclear Stress test. 

Again I blew through the test peaking at a METs of 7.  I was asked by the nurse conducting the test if I wanted to go higher and I replied, "No, if 7 METs was good enough."

So now they sent me off to another CTA except this time the Siemens X-ray machine can achieve a precision of 1/256th of an inch.  This allows the Cardiologist and Radiologist to see down into the Lumen of the artery and into the inner artery.  They can then somewhat measure the stenosis.  That means the amount of restriction, if there is one.

I did a bit of research and the Calcium build up increases with age and I am of age.  All the reading material was talking about men that were between 50 and 60 years of age and I am well beyond that age.

But if one has a Calcium Score of less than a 100 that seems to be okay.  The maximum score is 400.  Those persons that have a score between 100 and 300 are the target group.  It is said that if you have plaque build up from Calcium (the CTA can not measure plaque formed from Lipids only Calcium) then they treat you.

The treatment is a Statin, a Beta Blocker, an ACE Inhibitor and a baby or full sized Aspirin.  I have been taking the treatment for years.

If the Calcium build up is on your heart valves the valves can be removed and replaced taking care of that problem.

Of interest I am of high risk because I am Diabetic, family has a history of heart problems and I am treated for high blood pressure.  Couple that with age things can get worse.

The out come of the CTA is a non-invasive Angiogram.  The next step may be a regular Angiography and Angioplasty where they can install a stent if necessary.  That is an invasive procedure.  The procedure is more risky.

Finally, I exercise regularly with walking and I am asymptomatic, meaning I do not have an symptoms like Angina.  I do not have heart burn or other chest pains or pains across my shoulders.  Blood pressure is treated and under control

So now we wait the results.  Could be that I do indeed have Coronary Artery Disease (the VA calls that Ischemic Heart Disease or IHD).  So if things are positive for the disease, then I will file with the VA for another Service Connected disability related to Agent Orange.  I would rather not have the disease but . . .

No comments: