Thursday, September 10, 2015

Karen Galloway . . .

A while back I received a comment on a blog regarding Angeles Plantation from Karen Galloway.  I am paraphrasing but she said her family did business with J H Morrison which is my great great grandfather, Walter Christian Morrison's father.  She said she had never heard the names Brunswick or Angeles only names alike Morrison or Beaud.  She further said she had a sales receipt for or with JH Morrison.

I answered Karen and but got no reply.  I tried several times to trace her down.  I did eventually find a Karen Galloway but she had recently died.  So we missed each other.  Hopefully she is in heaven and now knows the whole story now.

I suspect Karen's family were slaves owned by J. H. Morrison before the Civil War.  That is a pity.  Many of the blacks on the plantations moved off  after the Civil War, who would blame them.  Some stayed on until the end of WW-II when virtually all of them moved off to towns like New Roads where some still reside today.  The plantation society died off for good reason, but I suspect the introduction of fuel powered machines greatly accelerated their departure.  Fewer workers were now needed on the farms with the mules and mule drivers being replaced by tractors.

There was nothing good about that plantation society except the land owners did indeed respect the blacks.  In many ways they were extended family.  They lived with us, they worked in the houses as well as out on the  land.  So they knew us as we knew them. Some of us grew up with them.

There are no family quarters for servants and employees any more.  The cabins were salvaged for the cypress wood.  They gradually disappeared and there is nothing left to remind us of the people or where they lived.  The old plantation commissary disappeared, as did the old mule lot went away.  Chicken coops are gone, hog lots are gone, no more milk cows either. Nothing left of that era at all, just the old Morrison family house and some modern day structures remain.

We do have one remnant, a black church on land given to them by the Morrison family years ago.  The church is still there.  I do not know if it is still active.  The last person I knew associated with the plantation and the church was Pete Carter.  Pete used to do yard work for my mother and at times asked and was given permission to use the yard equipment to clean up the church grounds.  Pete was an elderly man when I knew him.  I must have been ten or twelve years old when Pete came around to our house in New Roads on the banks of False River.

Pete was always a welcomed visitor.  Our cook and house cleaner was Ernestine Scott and she was born on Brunswick.  Ernestine worked for my mother until she died.  And truth be told my mother died not to many years after Ernestine.  Ernestine's nick name from Brunswick Plantation was Boll Weevil.  Never did we ever use that name as we all knew it was a sign of disrespect to her.  She may have been a servant but she was just as human as anyone else and deserved to be properly addressed.

So it remains to us to be a bastion of responsibility to those that were born or otherwise lived on the farms.  I fear that with passing time, relationships have disappeared.  A few selected ones may know or have been told their history but generally none of that is recorded.  So their family trees are clouded; they often refer to where they were born or grew up as their family history.   Some may have a vestige here or there and that perhaps is what Karen Galloway had.  Some regard those times as "Jin Crow" and want nothing to do with it.  I can not blame them.

Times are still hard on the blacks in New Roads.  Part is poor education, part is no jobs and part is crime.  It is a hard fight for them but some have risen to high stature in our society today.  General Honree, the hero of New Orleans after Katrina, is from our area. Pointe Coupe.  There are Catholic Bishops that are black and  are from our local black society.  We have seen other children become doctors and nurses, graduates of Louisiana State University and other prominent schools.  Yet extreme poverty continues and that brings with it distrust and civil unrest.   And it sows seeds of crime.

I wish I could say things are better now than in the old plantation society era but I am not so sure about that.

4 comments:

PCpeep said...

Hi William,

I am indeed resurrected and very much alive and well!LOL! Sorry for my delay in finding your reply/comment. I think I may have re-visited your blog before you had a chance to respond to my query! I have even been back several times since you responded but somehow missed your response/comment to the Angeles post and this post- dedicated to answering me and others who may be looking for information! In any event, thank you for your response to my query! I have discovered that 2x great grandmother whose death certificate says employer - W.H. Morrison. Her name was Rose St.Louis and she lived in Brooks. I have an uncle that worked for Joe Beaud and I beleive he lived on property as late as the 1980's. I also discovered a mistake in the Point Coupee copy of the plantation sales contract in 1856 between G.P. Ware and J.H Morrison. The Pointe Coupee copy says 1866. The New Orleans copy says 1856. I have to revisit my research in light of this new information. Regards, Karen.

False-River said...

Karen, we are missing each other in this correspondence. My email address is cmorrison1@aol.com. I live in Texas today but still have relatives and interests in Angeles Plantation (now known legally as W. C. Morrison Farm, Inc). We meet annually, a business/family meeting the first week of March, the first Saturday every year. We will do so this year on March 4, 2017

The only Rose that I knew as the cook. She moved to New Roads about the time my parents moved back to New Roads, around 1946. Rose's last name is Sneed. Many of her descendants still reside in New Roads, one I met a while back is a policeman and knew of the his family history. He was well aware of his family and the Angeles Plantation connection. BTW, I last saw Rose when I was six years old, I am 76 years old now.

Plantation society was brutal but it was also familial. The land owner, my grandfather, saw that all got the same medical coverage as he did, though it was not much. My grandfather died on Main Street of a stroke or a heart attack in 1942.

I know of no Morrison with the initials of W. H. Morrison. W. C. Morrison is common and I am one of them. My grandfather married my grandmother in 1901 which is about the time he started to plant his share of Brunswick Plantation. His father died when he was 13 years old and he spent a lot of time in New Orleans and then later in Lettsworth. His wife was from Lettsworth. Today Lettsworth, a wide spot in the road is about 17 to 20 miles up LA Hwy 1, a short trip. In his day it was an all day trip on steamboat to there from Pointe Coupee where the farm is located. Modern inventions has reduce time and distance so much it is hard to imagine what life was back then. No cars, no phones, no railroad, no roads speak of, US Mail was the method of fast communication and that took weeks, not days or hours as it may today.

I can say that if a family chose to remain on a plantation on Pointe Coupee, the owners would not kick them out. They were and are extended family. Pointe Coupee is dotted with black churches and of St Francis Chapel. There is a black church on Brunswick today, in poor shape and probably disused. I know for a fact it belongs to the blacks as my family gave it to them. Pete Carter, a former Angeles person, often would come to our house in New Roads and borrow tools to clean up the church lot. Pete is long deceased.

Today Brunswick is owned by the Joe Beaud family. Jobbie Beaud, a third generation descendant of Joe Beaud bought it for more than $6 million dollars. Today Jobbie Beaud has leased Angeles Plantation and again it is planted in sugar cane as it was in my grandfather's day. The Beaud's are highly respected family on Pointe Coupee and indeed, all of Pointe Coupee Parish.

And yes, Jacob Haight Morrison is my great great grandfather. Some of his descendants include the former Mayor of New Orleans and Ambassador to the Organization of American States, deLesseps Story "Chep" Morrison. US Representative and late Ambassador to the Vatican, Corrine Marie Morrison nee Claiborne "Lindy" Boggs. The Morrisons of Brunswick are scattered from Washington D.C. to Marin County, California. There are even some living in Brazil. And today I live in Weatherford, TX right outside of Fort Worth.

PCpeep said...

Hi William,

Happy New Year. Hope this note finds you in good health and prospering in 2017. Thanks for subscribing to my new blog -http://www.ourancestorsrevealed.com/ . I am still getting my "sea legs" with this blogging business. Just trying to share some family history and culture with hopes of making connections and filling in the gaps. Rose Nelson Sneed is my mother's aunt. The sister of her father Rev. Albert Nelson. I did not know that she worked for your family. Within the last month, Rose's daughter, Leontean "Tean" Sneed Porche, and Tean's son Tommy Porche passed. The police officer that you speak of is another son.

Again, thank you for sharing family's history with us. The church that you speak of is called "Sixth Ward Baptist Church". Much of our family is buried there. My family has communicated with Pete Carters descendants. I think Mr. Carter's people also kept the church records. My other deceased uncle Edward Nelson would often clean the grave sites of family members. That church is significant and should be on the registry of historic places. My family tried, but just could not get the needed information.

Rose St. Louis ( nee Paul) is my 2x great grandmother and is the maternal grandmother of Rose Sneed and Rev. Albert Nelson. She is the mother-in-law of Auguste Nelson, whom i believe was born on the plantain of Jacob Height Morrison to Mary Jane/Jones/June and a William Nelson. On her death certificate it stated that the employer was "Morrison". This would have been well before your time. I believe she died in the 1920's after her husband Oscar St. Louis.

I am always wishing that I had more time for family research. Thanks for "shout out" and for your persistence in reaching me!

Karen

False-River said...

Great connection. Interesting entwinement of our family's histories. The Sixth Ward Chuch is located on Brunswick Plantation and indeed belongs to those associated with the church. The Thibaus who owned Brunswick after the Edward Morrison family ran it into the ground and went broke in 1930s, tried to claim the land. The Morrison's defended the title and the land remains part of the church property and will do so for time immortal.

Rose Sneed cooked at the Angeles Plantation house on an wood burning iron stove. The family moved off the plantation in the late 1940s maybe 1947 or 1948. That era of labor intensive agriculture was dying, there was no work, sugar cane cutting was beginning to be cut by machines and so on. So and family moved on to New Roads.

Brunswick is now owned by Jobbie Beaud, the grandson of Joe Beaud. He has leased Angeles Plantation now. So for the first time since 1900, the two plantations are literally one again. And it is being planted with sugar cane for the first time since the mid 1950s. My uncle, Walter, ran the place, got out of sugar cultivation, into cattle and then we lease the place to the Schgnyders who grew grains (Corn, wheat and soy beans). One of my sisters grand children married into the Beaud family, always close friends and now related, and thus a stronger connection was made.

Jacob Haight Morrison was my great great grandfather. One of his children was Walter Christian Morrison, my grandfather. He took his inheritance in 1900 and separate the two farms. So as a Morrison family, we only retain a part of old Brunswick.

Pete Carter used to ask my mother for the use of power mower and other tools to take care of the church grounds. We gladly let Pete use what he wanted or needed. The church looks very run down now days but is in much better shape than many other black associated churches along Pointe Coupee. Folks, families have moved away, there was no work and one can not blame them. The economic models of farming in that region had inevitably changed.

And so have our extended family relations. It is a shame but it is life. Today the blacks are far better off than they used to be. Times can still be hard but much is different now for the better for everybody. Nobody was ever driven off Angeles by the Morrisons. Thus they are always welcome to come and see and visit. I can understand that no one wants to return to the past and respect them for it.

Yes, it is a new year. Time marches on. We are just travelers in history.