Friday, September 25, 2015

My Old Stik . . .

A while back I crashed my old Ultra Stik by Horizon Hobbies.  The engine just was not developing power and it ran into the field electric fence wire.  The wire did a number on the wing, easily repaired and broke the fuselage in half.  At first I was going to trash can the old Stik but then I saw it was easy to repair.

So I have been fixing it back.  Quite a bit of fibre glass patches putting the fuselage back together.  I had to epoxy in the wing mount again in the fuselage.  I had to reinstall the firewall where the engine mounts up front.  And I had to add a new cover over the top front of the fuselage.  The fact that that piece was off allowed me to make special repairs to the forward wing mount and strengthen the forward fuselage.  I got that all fixed and then added the new top.

I had to recover the forward fuselage, the colors no longer match.  I used a lot of MonoKote solid red and it went over spots that were formally covered by a clear yellow cover.  So it is more red now than before.

I had to fix the wing center regluing some decking and had to make a few new reinforcement plywood patches.  Those were epoxied on, wing mount holes redrilled, etc.  I still have to cover some of that area.  But the wing is back being very flyable.

I found a bad spot in the tail feathers, the horizontal surface a separated from the fuselage part way.  So I had to reglue that back.  I used TiteBond wood glue for that.  I also had to put a cover patch on and it too is red.  Not to noticeable but considerable stronger aft section now.

I have to reinstall some wing servos and finish up the wing.  But not much more to do.  I installed the engine again.  I am going to have to work on the throttle hook up.  I have one but it is not working as it should and I will need to rework all that.  Not hard to do but just more work to be done.  I think I am going to have to result in using a cable hook up vice a solid wire.  The solid wire does not give me the flexibility I need, so gotta be done.

It will fly again!  The Phoenix rises from the ashes!

No comments: