Monday, July 13, 2020

The Chain Saw . . .

We have a small electric chain saw.   I have used it to cut down a couple of peach trees that died and recently a small dead Post Oak and Hawthorn tree.  The Hawthorn tree is just a nuisance that generates big thorns and causes flat tires on the garden tractor lawn mower. 

The saw did a great job of chewing up those small trees and making a little firewood for us.  We do not need the firewood but we do have a chimenea that we burn in the fall every once in a while.  So I keep a small stack of little logs to burn.  Most of it is peach wood but now has both Oak and Hawthorne wood in the pile.

But I notice the saw chain was pretty loose.  So I set about checking it out and found out it was dangerously loose.  I watch a "You Tube" presentation and got to adjusting the chain correctly.  It was not hard to do and pretty simple process.  The saw is electric nice and light and with a long power cord does the job.  No hard starting or mixed gasoline to deal with, just plug and go.

I have yet another one, a bit smaller that is on a "pole saw."  I have not used it yet but it is the next step for me to use.  Oak trees, especially Post Oaks generate a lot of dead limbs.  They are said to self trimming in the those limbs eventually rot and fall off.  With the pole saw you get them out of the way sooner and they are not so unsightly looking trees then.

Right now it is too hot and to do that kind of work requires early morning duty.  That's okay with me but I have remember to do it.  There is a Post Oak by the driveway on the North side of the house and now has a big limb with a lot of dead ones on it hanging over the driveway.  It is poised to drop a lot of sticks and trash on the driveway to clean up.  Might as well get at that when they are big and easier to dispose of. 

We have a big pile of tree trimmings in the back yard and usually get the yard folks to cart it off in the Spring.  And then we start stacking it up again with Post Oak droppings.  So I really need to clean out those trees in back yard too.

Just more work.

No comments: