Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Broke the Code . . .

Well, I finally broke the code on two things for the Dell computer - Inspiron 530. First, I purchased an Iomega USB connected floppy drive. No software from Microsoft or Dell, none to be had and no help from either company (go figure). Well, i found on the Internet a young man studying for his Master degree at Delft University - yes that is in the Netherlands. But his English is impeccable, well understood and he used lots of pictures.

It amounted to using another device's software. In this case it was a NEC USB floppy. Used that Microsoft software and bingo, the Iomega floppy worked and has continued to work.

The second issue I broke the code on was my Dell Roxio DVD R/W and CD read disk recorded to a DVD (using Roxio software as usual) and downloaded software using Microsoft's software drivers to make CD-ROMs. Guess what, works like a charm. I mused that if it could write DVDs there was technology - e.g. laser to burn the DVD could be used to burn CD-ROMs. I was right and there was indeed software that did that. Now I can write CD-ROMs (I have a stack of maybe 50 blank discs to use up).

Computers, gotta love them. Amazing devices.

And yes, screw Dell!

No comments: