Thursday, July 16, 2009

Getting Used To It

I am getting used to the Contour meter. I have found that there is some variation between test strips. The ones that came with the meter, about 10 of them, are a bit more sensitive than the ones I got from the pharmacy. Takes a bigger blood drop to get it to work. While I get them on prescription, I can just buy extras if I need them, they are not really a drug but are part and parcle of Diabetes today. So they are commonly available at any pharmacy.

Basically, the amount of blood is a bit more for the new strips. So one has to judge how big the blood drop is before loading up the test strip (and sometimes squeeze up the puncture site to increase the size of the blood drop). This AM I went through three strips to get it to work properly. A little bit of a learning curve.

I am getting better at this. The meter records the final reading and puts it into memory, and does an average for you. Unfortunately, we tested Judie and her blood sugar is normal, while mine is off the scale. But her reading is now averaged in on the meter. Fortunately, I started a spread sheet, put in the readings and do the average on my calculator (Yeah, I know, I just have to get the spreadsheet set up to do the math. But since it is simple, I can do it on the side with my trusty calculator.).

The blood sugar is falling. But strangely rises during the night. Well, we will let the Doctor figure that out. I am sure there is an explanation (and a treatment). I counted up and I am not taking AM and PM a sum total of 21 pills, some of which are vitamins but I take a boat load of them. Pretty soon I gonna have have a pill caddy to carry around all those meds.

And life goes on . . .

No comments: