Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"Wendel"

I sent a letter to an old fraternity brother, Joffre Fusilier. Well it turns out that Joffre has reverted to using his middle name, Wendel. It seems he only used his first name at LSU in both undergraduate and law school days. In his native Ville Platte, he was known as Wendel.

When he returned to Ville Platte to start his law practice he continued to use Joffre but ran into problems confusing his father's account with his over the name Jaffre. So he had to revert to Wendel again.

His son is also named Joffre. A fireman but attending college. Two daughters, one a lawyer that does not practice and one a nurse.

We had a long telephone chat. He is not much of a computer man, says his wife uses one at home and he has one at the office but not at home.

Anyway, another old fraternity brother contacted. Hank Bernard put me on to the Wendel name and I was successful getting through that way. I guess the Joffre addressed ended up at his son's house and in the ash can.

We talked a bit about Terry Dardeau. Sad, Terry returned to Ville Platte, bought a house and within weeks was dead. Yvie thinks Terry came home to die. Joffre (er, Wendel) said they were good friends but that Terry did not come to see him in the end. I don't think it was a snub, I think Terry was too sick.

I told him about Dwight Paulsen and Bernie Lafaso. He did not recall Keith Irwin at all. I found that strange but that is getting close to 50 years ago now.

No comments: