Sunday, July 31, 2016

Bashed My Stik . . .

A Stik is a model airplane designed by the late great Phil Kraft.  Allegedly it was built to test various engines that he was working on.  Today it is probably the most common radio control airplane in use.  There are many variations, some are decidedly better designed and built than others.  I prefer the Great Plaines Almost Ready to Fly or ARFs as they are substantially better built than all the others that I have owned.

In this case I inadvertently move the control stick and of course the airplane went where it was told to go.  In this case strait in vertically and full speed.  Did a bit of damage to the engine, so that is pretty hard crash.  It tore the muffler manifold right out of the head, pulled out some of the threads with it.  Fortunately, I have another such engine that I can use the parts from to fix up the engine again.

And I have ordered a new Stik from Tower Hobbies.  I got free shipping on the deal and that alone is worth about $20.  Then I found a coupon that gave me another $30 off and entered that in the appropriate slot on the order blank and reaped that saving too.  I had to get some stiffer control rods and hardware so that soaked up much of the savings.  Got a new propeller for the engine too.

So I have work ahead restoring the engine and putting the new Stik together.  I make it a tail dragger vice the original tricycle designed landing gear.  That entails moving the main landing gear forward and of course adding a tail wheel assembly.  I also reinforce the rear of the fuselage, a weak point now that it is a tail dragger.  I have to add weight and do that internally and I move the rudder and elevator servos aft (cut new holes for the servos and reinforce the area to take the loads imposed by the servos). 

So I have quite a bit of work ahead but I am getting good at it.

I like the plane design and it flies really well.  I see no reason to change as that is what I like to fly.  Others fly all kinds of airplanes, some electrics and some with gasoline engines.  I am still with four cycle glow engines and my Stiks.  It is what I like to do.  And frankly, I like to assemble them the way I want.  That alone is plenty of entertainment for me.

No comments: