Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Pain Doctor , , ,

Well I had an appointment with the pain doctor yesterday to address my right arm.  I have radiculopathy which literally means I have disk problem in my neck that pinches the nerve and impacts my arm.  It is not just pain and numbness, it is a loss of dexterity and mobility.  I am losing range of motion.

First the nurse put me through her routine including a pee in the cup routine.  They do that because they deal in opioids a lot.  So I was not excited about it, just something you have to do.  My BP was up and I attribute that to finally getting to see the doctor but doing so means you have to go through a bunch of BS to get to that point.

The next person was a PA and he put me through his paces.  He had learned I had Peripheral Neuropathy (PN) which is a result of my Type II Diabetes (an auto immune disease).  Diabetes attacks nerves and especially nerve ends in your extremities.  And the VA has assessed that and awarded me a Service Condition which among other things carries with it a monthly stipend.  The fact that I have it is not a big deal to me and it really does not impact me a great deal.  Yes, I have lost some sensation in my feet and hands but that condition has not changed since I have gotten my Diabetes under control.  And I generally pay close attention to the Diabetes.  As a result its onslaught to attacking my nervous system has if not abated has remained relatively unchanged.  Basically, it does not bother me anymore as I know what it is and that I can not do anything about it.  The PA was intent on trying to get me to take Gabapentin and I was not having anything to do with it.

Then the doctor popped in to see me.  His news was disheartening in that neck conditions were really bad.  The joints at 5/6 and 5/7 were really bad especially on the right side.  I knew that it was bad just not how bad.  I had looked at the MRI and even I could see there were issues at those joints in my neck (or if you will my upper spine).  The discs were bulging out and the shots would pump up the disc and relieve the pressure on my nerves.   I had been though this before except it was just 5/6 joint giving me issues.  He did not even mention Gabapentin or my PN at all.

I had my left shoulder replaced in September last year and had to wear this humongous sling for at least a month.  I attributed my neck problems to the wearing of the sling.  The doctor agreed with me.
Now I am scheduled for a "procedure" and that treatment will be shots in the neck.  It appears that the process has become refined and improved.  So now I have to go to minor surgery for the treatment.  The doctor said it was so bad I should expect at least three shots to treat it.  That means three different times in the minor surgery for me.  He said I should expect it to take at least that many times to get things back into place so to speak.

In the last month or so, the pain has abated but I know it can flare up immediately.  More so I want to get my dexterity back again.  There was no comment about that but I am sure I will regain some degree of range of motion.




















No comments: