Thursday, April 25, 2019

Sun is Out . . .

After a couple of days of overcast and rain, the sun has appeared again.  I turned the irrigation system off yesterday, the ground is soaked.  So saved a few dimes of electricity and a few gallons of ground water.  I will turn it back on in a day or two.  I have a leak to fix.

The Texas lakes are all recharged.  We got about three inches of rain and other areas got as much as seven or more inches.  So the run off has charged all the lakes and there was a threat of flash floods.

Here in Texas we lost a family to the raging waters.  I do not know if the driver mistook a turn and drove off the road into raging waters or was swept off the road by raging waters.  It kill the mother and two children and the husband was found clinging to a tree some distance from his automobile.  The two children were found in the car and the wife further down stream.  It was a very tragic event, being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I walked around and noted the plants have enjoyed all the extra water and are perked up.  Part of front yard was ravaged by Chinch bugs and is not recovering.  It is yet too cool for the Chinch bug and this go round I have a lot of poison (Malathion) for them.  I will spray it when it gets dry as a preventive action.

Judie has gone around with her Round Up and sprayed the weeds in the cracks of the concrete.  No weed goes with out a shot of Round Up and they are indeed drying up.

I will soon have to fire up the lawn tractor.  She has hired a lawn service since she thinks my arm is not sufficiently recovered to cut the grass.  I will charge up the battery and get an oil filter to prepare the mower for action.  The blades are plenty sharp and ready to go.  I will air up the tires too.  It is time to get one more season out of the mower and then maybe I will give up.  I just can not bring myself to pay $50 to cut the grass.

I have go behind these guys and fix things.  They trigger one water leak and mowed down one sapling in a wire cage.  I had to straighten out the wire cage and put flags on it.   So far they have not done it twice and the poor little sapling is recovering with a new shoot.

These guys mean well but just rush around way to swiftly.  They want to cut and go, move on to the next customer.  They need adult management.

Well the sun is out and I see some plants coming back.  That kind of wets my appetite to get some yard work done.

No comments: