Friday, April 12, 2013

Iris

Our Irises are blooming!

These are the last of the rhizomes I got from Cal-Dixie Gardens in Riverside, CA.  The gardens were owned by our friends from both of out tours at Norton AFB, CA.  They were older than us and I an sure they have passed on and the gardens are no more.

I used to write them and say, "Here's a check, send us something."  They had almost three acres of Irises to choose from.  They have even bred some of their own.  Anyway, at the end of the blooming season when one is suppose to harvest the rhizomes, they would send us four or five different ones.  We got common ones and rare ones.  It was just what they had left over and of course chose to send us.  We got some very pretty flowers from them.

These are remnants.  They have thrived here.  I took this photo on 11 April 2013.  They are in full bloom and we need to thin them out.  If you want some of them contact us and I will mail them to you.  You have to do the planting and whatever to ensure their survival.

I have another set coming up.  It was a pretty bloom but our neighbor down the street ripped them out.  He did not like them for some reason.  I fished the rhizome out of the trash pile and planted it.  It struggled through last year but is busting out of the ground this year.  I am sure it is going to be a keeper.

Spring is sprung.  Gass cutting this afternoon.  Double ugh.

No comments: