Saturday, April 27, 2013

Trying to set up . . .

Trying to set up a family web page for the WC Morrison's. 

I have a domain name ~ wcmorrisonfamily.com.  That little goody costs about $50 a year but I have it.  It is mine exclusively.  Don't go try to open it, there is nothing there yet - as they say under construction.  I used Host Monster to get the domain name.  And it is my general gate way into the morass.  And I pay for that privilege too.  I does not matter who you use, they are all about the same and cost about the same.  So I just picked one and started - three years ago.  I got bogged down and just let it ride.  Now I am at it again.

Every page you get says its simple to do.  I think I have racked five passwords, untold user names, etc. to get the thing going.  Just when you think you have it, you do not.  I need to create a web page.  Simple - about four or five outfits will do it for you for a price.  Not interested in that.  There are several free ones.  But you have to have a FTP.  Whoops no got, got to go get one, simple.

Signed up for Word Press.  That is free.  Went looking for site creation.  Well now I have to get a File Transfer  Protocol.  Well I found it and I now have a FTP account.  Got to remember all that stuff.  I am trying to use the same password over and over.  It is one I can remember.  And it says it is "strong" meaning, I am sure a hacker, might take an hour to break in.  Does not matter right now.

This is a learning process.  Nothing stays still, everything is update here and there.  It all assumes you know what you are doing - simple, right!  Ain't no way it is simple.  Some things certainly are easier as one does not have to use the old html protocols, that is all pre-set now days.  You type it converts just like you are using the word processor.  I even looked in the Junior College about web page building.  Yeah, they got, six weeks and may another $100 to get it, you a couple of hours at night class two times a week.  Not for me.

I go Host Monster every day.  Fire it up and go looking and reading.   I must admit my attention span is limited, so I do it over and over again.  Maybe by rote it will sink in.  At least I am learning a new vocabulary.  I am sure I will eventually get there.  Then I can call myself "Web Master."

Yeah, right!

3 comments:

Carlo said...

Do you happen to know the water temp of False River? I am completing in a triathalon in two weeks and wanted to know.

Thank you,
Carlo

False-River said...

False River never gets excessively cold. I would imagine it is around 75 degrees, tending to be lower. People power boat on it all year. Water Skiers use year round. At no time does it get cold as a lake in the northern climes. Even the Mississippi River, from which False River came into existence is colder because the water comes from the North. You can sometimes even see ice flows in the Mississippi.

False River is a lake. It is not attached to the Mississippi like Old River at the upper end of Pointe Coupee Parish. It is part of the parish drainage system, so if there are significant rainfalls prior to your Triathalon, it will be cooler. But otherwise, you can swim in it all year round if you are tough enough.

We always started swimming in it in late May and certainly by June.

Good luck, Carlo

Chip Morrison

dorz11 said...

If you want help with the web page let me know.