Sunday, May 4, 2014

Scottish Festival . . .

I received a letter out of the blue from a Clan Morrison fellow.  His name is Jim Morrison and he is the local whizz for clan doings in this region.  He lives way the hell out in Hobbs, New Mexico.  So he really claims New Mexico and Western Texas (which is a lot of territory).  Any way he sent the letter.  Jim has the clan title of "Convener" meaning local big wig in the clan.

Basically, it said that there was a Scottish Festival in North Texas at the University of Texas, Arlington.  It was held at their football stadium.  UTA as it is locally known, no longer plays intercollegiate football.  So there are not training conflicts and it is a place that is ringed by a high chain link fence, has ticket booths and a place to let folk (with tickets) to go in and out.

One area of the facility had all the tents for the different clans, I counted about 30 or so tents.  Ironically, the Morrison tent by design I guess, was the largest one of them all.  So it was a little off to the side nestled back in a corner with plenty of room.  Other clan tents adjoined each other in long lines but the Morrison tent was all by itself in the corner.

It was interesting to chat with Jim Morrison, a retired cop from the City of Hobbs.  He was complete with kilt on.  He gave me a pin representing the Scotch, a shot glass with Clan Morrison on it (appropriate, eh). 

They knew little or nothing about the Pointe Coupee Morrisons.  I guess I will write a piece and give it to the Clan Morrison folks.  To much family history to be ignored.

I ate lunch there.  I walked over to the food court, located behind the east side of the stadium.  I do not go for Haggis and such, so I selected Fish and Chips, close enough I figured.  And I had a draft beer, that set me back $14 for both.  For a good cause I figured.

There were large tents with bagpipe playing, folk songs, speaker, etc.  There were also Scottish games, throwing a humongous weight.  Naturally, all the contestants work kilts.  There was even a Scottie Dog tent.  Lots of merchants peddling plaids, and all kinds of do dads ala Scotch.  No repeat no Scotch Whiskey.

I also met Dr. Morrison from Scotland, he is the titular head of the clan.  He met and married a lass from Connecticut and now eschews Scotland for his brides home state.  Seems it is a bit more climatically acceptable and I do not think she was receptive to living in Scotland.  He had to go off and give a talk (about the Morrison Clan no less).



No comments: