Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Texas VA Expose' . . .

 The Drudge Report had an expose' on the Texas VA system.  It did not surprise me that there were similar VA issues in Texas.

I had had a round with the Fort Worth VA Clinic, a new fine facility here in our area.  I live about 14 or so interstate miles from the Clinic.  So it is convenient to me.

But let me back first and say I am military retiree and have TRICARE for Life and since I am over 65 years of age we are covered by our primary medical care, Medicare.  TRICARE is our automatic secondary.  So we use a private physician and I only deal with the VA on issues only VA can or will deal with.  I might add that I get 10% medical care from the VA for all my service connected disabilities should I choose to use the VA.  I only selectively use the VA for obvious reasons, I get prompt on the spot care from my private physicians.

I did have around with the Fort Worth VA clinic over them regarding my hearing and an Auditory exam.  After refusal and a bunch of bureaucratic nonsense, I finally got the examination and now wear a fine pair of hearing aids.  But I had to do battle with them and won.

Most probably because I can write letters, know whom to write letters to and I am a Category I veteran, meaning I have a disability rating of 90%.  All veterans with 60% and greater ratings fall into that category.  That means we are suppose to be literally first in line for services.  It took prodding on my part but I got past the bureaucracy. 

En route to the hearing aids I got a further disability for Tinnitus (the new service connected disability did not change my overall 90% rating).  That does mean because I now have a hearing Service Connected disability, I get free service from the Audiology clinic.  I will still have to beg an appointment but everybody needs to schedule their work both inside and outside the VA.  I can not just barge in and get care, I must go through the line first.  That is fair, nothing wrong with that kind of service.

But I do not have to deal with the VA like non-military retirees do.  While we pay for Medicare, we do not have to pay for TRICARE for Life, nor do I have to pay for service connected disability care if I so choose to use the VA.  Indigent veterans must deal with the VA for their medical care.  Believe me I am not going to ever use the VA with any regularity, only when I have to like getting hearing aids..

No comments: